I’ve done most jobs in a newsroom: design, photography contest department, obituaries, news assistant. But, my specialty was as a beat news reporter. I led the education reporting for a daily newspaper, working with reporters at two satellite offices to keep on top of education law, events, trends and budgets. Some of my best work, I would say, was at the scene of breaking news events. Whether a chemical spill that covered a town in a toxic cloud or a massive fire at an assisted living home that left hundreds without their belongings, I prided myself in quickly getting accurate news to the community.
General assignment and education reporter – Butler (Pa.) Eagle. – January 2006 to August 2010
- Researched and reported on activities concerning education from early childhood to adult continuing education.
- Coordinated education coverage at two bureau offices.
- Covered breaking news, features, and obituaries.
- Mentored new hires and interns.
- Participated in Associated Press enterprise stories, including press freedom and open records projects.
Election reporter – The Associated Press – 2007-10
- Delivered Election Day reports as a stringer.
Page designer and copy editor – Trib PM, Pittsburgh. – 2005
- Selected and edited local and wire stories for afternoon commuter newspaper owned by TribTotal Media.
- Chose art and paginated TV, Money and World sections regularly. Designed feature pages and other sections as needed.
Reporting intern– Pittsburgh Post-Gazette – Spring 2005
- Reported and wrote feature news for neighborhood and city sections.
Freelance reporter and photographer – Lawyer’s Journal of Allegheny County – 2004-05
Editor-in-chief – The Globe (student newspaper of Point Park University) – Fall 2004
Editorial intern – Gazette Newspapers (Ashtabula County, Ohio) – 2004
Editorial assistant – Pittsburgh Post-Gazette – 2003-04