My interest and experience is teaching students how to be clear, accurate and ethical storytellers for mass media. I’ve taught versions of multimedia reporting and writing at three universities, continually updating the courses as the tools of the trade evolve.
In addition to great mentors like Profs. Julie Dodd and Katy Culver who shaped my pedagogy, I’ve participated in trainings to keep my teaching skills sharp. This included Ph.Digital, an intensive program through Texas State and the Knight Foundation. At Virginia Tech, I participated in professional development to teach online courses and to see that my online data journalism course meets quality assurance standards to be taught nationally.
- Data journalism (Fall 2021, Virginia Tech)
- Intro to comm research(Virginia Tech)
- Mass communication writing (University of Florida)
- Mass Media and Public Opinion (1) (graduate level, Virginia Tech)
- Mass media practices (University of Wisconsin-Madison)
- Media effects (Virginia Tech)
- Multimedia Reporting (Virginia Tech)
- Social Media Analytics (Fall 2021, Virginia Tech)
- Protest frames in news (Virginia Tech)